Thursday, April 4, 2013

More than they love themselves

I was going through a couple of art pieces on my laptop just now and found something I drew last year, after the case where two Somali college students beat up and killed a dog by tossing it down a manhole.

The student was supposed to be taking care of the dog (a female Dalmatian-Pit Bull mix named Kanilla) for his Jordanian classmate, who had to go back to his country and needed someone to take care of her. Kanilla's owner trusted him with her life, and he ended up committing such an atrocity. When Kanilla's owner returned, he was told that she had run away. His housemate, however, showed him a video of the Somali and his friend throwing her down the manhole and watching her drown.

The video and subsequent media coverage raised the hackles of animal lovers all over Malaysia and from all around the world. Amongst the lamentations of Kanilla's death were calls for the perpetrators to be deported back to their own country, and some even went as far as to say that they should themselves be killed. One individual said that someone should get the cameraman too - an understandable sentiment, as someone who had the ability to film the event should also have been able to stop them.

My opinion? No words could express the hatred I feel towards those scumbags who killed Kanilla. If it's one thing I hate in a person, it's sadism - I hate people who would willingly cause someone or something else pain just for the fun of it - "for the lulz", as they said in Smiley. I understand the killing of animals for food - in fact, I'm a proud carnivore myself - but I would never, ever, EVER kill another person or animal just because I can get a kick out of it. There's a reason why dogs are called 'man's best friend'; they are the sweetest, most compassionate creatures on earth. In fact, it has been said that a dog is the only thing in the world who loves you more than he loves himself. I don't have a dog of my own, but I have known enough dogs to know this to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment