Friday, April 26, 2013

Of TomSka and Tres Fest

IT'S. FINALLY. DONE. *dies*

*comes back to life* Hi. So here it is: the final result of three days trying to draw and colour Thomas "TomSka" Ridgewell. This was my first attempt at drawing and colouring on Paint Tool SAI. I tried making it as realistic as possible, but I pretty much failed, I think. *cries* But I'm still really happy with it! I just had to finish it today - I won't be able to complete my assignment in peace if I don't.

Anyway, the sudden  overwhelming urge to use TomSka as the subject of my first ever Paint Tool SAI drawing came three days ago, when Sky News decided to do a segment on Youtube's eighth anniversary. Tom was invited to speak live on Sunrise with Sky News about YouTube and how one could make a living out of posting videos. The show aired at 8:45 a.m. in the U.K. which was 3:45 p.m. in Malaysia. So I watched the show and spent most of the five minutes (sadly yes, only five minutes) he was on fangirling like crazy. About half-way through the interview I snapped a shot of my TV screen and tweeted it. A couple of minutes later, I get a notification saying five of the best words I had heard in a long, long time:

"Thomas Ridgewell (@thetomska) retweeted you."

*dies of overexcitement*

...and that's what prompted me to do it. :3



Now, about Tres Fest! According to their Facebook page, Tres Fest is a "music, art and food event for youth and young adults. This event is basically an event for up-and-coming artists, musicians, food entrepreneurs and special needs youth to 'strut their stuff'. This is also a 'green' event." I heard about it when one of my ex-schoolmates invited me for INTI's Pre-U Prom Night auditions. Now, I'm not from INTI, so naturally I don't consider myself eligible for these auditions. Besides, I can't sing, dance or play any musical instrument. So, I posted on the event's timeline explaining these things and further (jokingly) asking if I could "speed-draw on stage". So I was quite surprised when someone replied, asking if I could really speed-draw. I told him that I could draw, and I just needed to add the speed. He then sent me the link to Tres Fest's Facebook page, saying if I could really speed-draw, they would  like to showcase me as one of the talents there.

...man, I'm feeling lightheaded just typing about it.

I would really, REALLY love to go for Tres Fest. It sounds like a really cool event, someplace where I may be able to meet people like me. Plus, it would be a huge opportunity to show the rest of Malaysia my passion for art. I've made a decision, one that I've been thinking about for the whole day - I'm going to email them my pictures, and see what they think about them and if they'll give me a chance. They haven't released many details about the Fest yet, but when they do, I have my fingers crossed that I'll be a part of it. If you read this post, and if you want, please pray for my success. ;)

Song stuck in my head: The Yoshida Brothers' cover of By This River by Brian Eno.

No comments:

Post a Comment